- How to Write Demand Letters?
- 4 Critical Points on Demand Letter Writing
- How to Answer to Demand Letters?
The present-day world is impossible without documentation flows. Each individual of legal age needs to know how to write and answer official letters. One of the types of essential documents is demand letters. Not all people are familiar with the main aspects of writing and answering them. Here is a list of helpful tips to make this process easier.
How to Write Demand Letters?
Despite the fact that there are many samples on the Internet, each demand letter is devoted to the special-purpose subject and advances different goals. We recommend typing the letter using a computer. This is the best way to issue a document properly. Additionally, it is possible to save an online copy of your demand copy, having printed the processed demand letter.
It is worth noting that the main purpose of the demand letter is to highlight the main facts. State all the information in detail, describe cases, and make accents on the key events in your document. Keep in mind that your letter should be polite and written officially. Do not attack the party with your complaints. Issue the demand letter in the same tone you would like to get an answer. People will write you back in a similar format as you executed your demands.
Remember that the well-drawn-up documentation is the guarantee of loyal communication and fast dispute resolution. You should encourage the second party to solve the issue out of court and public decisions to be undertaken. Your letter should force your consignee to think about:
- Losing risks in case of the long dispute process.
- Period of time that will be taken for defense procedures.
- The possibility that the dispute may be decided in public.
4 Critical Points on Demand Letter Writing
- If you are going to ask for any sum, this amount should be specified precisely in the demand letter. Explain the basic matters why you require $3,000. It is important to explain your point of view. This information increases the chances to get a positive response.
- Do not forget to set a deadline for the party you are writing to. Usually, the average response time is about 7-10 days. Show that you know your rights and you are highly motivated.
- Note about legal remedies you are going to use if your consignee does not meet your requirements. This is a very powerful weapon against those individuals who are willing to evade their responsibilities. Ask a competent attorney to help you with a demand letter if you are not sure that everything is written out properly.
- And the last point to mention is the way you should send your documentation. Print a copy of your demand letter and send it via mailing service with good tracking and confirmation services. This way you will have an opportunity to provide mail receipts to the court if the party does not want to resolve the dispute informally, out of court sessions.
How to Answer to Demand Letters?
But sometimes you are that party which should draw up a response for a demand letter. In this case, remember that you have a right to do nothing or contact a person directly (or with the lawyer of this party) to explain your own point of view. For example, you consider yourself right and do not want to compensate for any money. If the dispute cannot be resolved informally, the case will be taken to the court.
Nevertheless, let’s take a closer look at the procedure of answering the demand letter. First of all, if you have insurance, contact your insurer and discuss the matter of your dispute. Maybe this situation is covered with your insurance. So it will be easier to ask your insurer to resolve this dispute informally. If you have got a well-founded claim and you need to answer a demand letter, here are a few helpful tips to take into consideration:
- Use regulations and current articles on your legal topic to defend your rights. If you are puzzled by any legal regulations, contact a competent lawyer and write down a response together with the legal expert.
- If you do not agree with the demanded sum, refuse the compensation amount. Explain your decision – why the asked sum is unreasonable or provide other facts.
- Write back politely and officially. You and the party you respond to are willing to come to an agreement. If you are not going to continue the dispute in the court, find a resolution together.
Sometimes a good dialog can solve different problems at once. Be responsible for this disputable situation even if you feel that you are right. Speaking about the documentation process, draw up the response for a demand letter using a computer or a laptop. This way you will save an online copy of your document and will not lose it in case of the court sessions. Do not forget about legal assistance if you require a competent advisor. An experienced lawyer will provide helpful recommendations and accompany you at any stage of the dispute proceeding.